• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Lives of High School Boys (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Daily Lives of High School Boys (TV) or Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō

ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
A glimpse into the lives of Tadakuni, Yoshitake, and Hidenori; three friends attending a boys-only high school.

Been wondering if I should start a discusion or not. It is rathe strange that the series goes out of the way to leave almost all females without faces, kind of the opposite of what is done in other shows where you see nothing but girls. It would seem to say that they don't want to rely on attractive girls to sell.

The little sister is shown in particular to be nothing like the usual anime sterotype, being how she is moody and seems to be a snoop seems to be pretty realistic. The guys picking up a random stick and turning it into some sort of rpg was rather funny, one friend creating an over the top story, and the other's monster pose.

It is actually pretty funny, of particular I have enjoyed things which show them just dicking around. In the sponser message tehy say things like "may or may not have been brought by", and that they appologised for the previous ep's ED wiht a promise of a proper one. On the ED it was funny, the god awefull lines that they said to impress being turned into a song, with the third guy stuffing it up. And then episode 2 had the guys doing a play with things including a sayan, with lots of confusion of what was hapening, best when the "princes" went to meet the hero, only be full on punched by the bear who then joined the other two in: success?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the scene where the younger sister walks in on her brother spoiler[trying on her clothes] is one of the funniest things I've seen in any medium in recent times. The "literary girl" scenario has a lot of potential. As does the "ghost story" segment. I hope they continue to get it right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
one of my top 3 series of this season.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
One of the funniest new shows of the season.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
It's cute and funny, and I loved the bits in the first episode where spoiler[one tells the other he should be eating bread not curry when he's late, and them specifically saying "no mechas"!]
Alakazzam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious show. One of my favourites of the season. Really loved the literary girl story. Haven't laughed so hard during an anime for a while. Definitely gonna watch this series to the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
I liked the segment at the end of episode 3 (High school girls are funky), which is rather ironic as the total point of it was to point out that guys would eat up any anime with high school girls doing anything. It really was a funny little jab at shows like K-ON!, Saki, an other. Chances are there will be a synchronised swimming anime.

Also a reminder that my summer is almost over, holidays end real soon here in Australia.
killmyself

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Second favorite show behind Nise this season; I have liked every episode thus far. It captures what teenage boys are generally like towards each other really well; meaning they are complete not-so-nice-people.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
With girls being a continued presence in this series from episode 4, it has gotten even better. Definite laugh out loud moments, I would even say saving best for last which again was an awesome, I just love the the jabs at the highschool girl genre. The girls randomly spoiler[yelling the guy to die, like schoolgirl genre trying to pick a fight, to which the guy chucks candy down and the girls turn into animals.] Laughing
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
I liked the p*ss take of K-On where spoiler[the girls' high school light music club provided the background music for the fight] Very Happy Could you imagine that happening in K-ON?
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
aaah this is just great. admittedly, some of the bits aren't as funny as the rest but in general every episode so far has provided some awesome jokes. spoiler[The girl's reactions at the riverbank to the guys' over the top poetical one-liners had me crying out loud!]

Also: the ending theme anyone? Probably one of only few ending themes I actually bother to watch.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It's good but I kinda think it would work better as a 12 minute show- there's sooooo much that misses the mark for me but every episode features some serious lol moment that makes it worth it. If each episode were shorter I think the best moments would stand out more and the slow parts would be lessened.
It's possible it will get better though, it happens with these type of shows that adapt a 4-koma series. It gets even better as the humor finds its groove and the rough patches are smoothed out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
That latest episode had me laughing nearly the whole way through. The bit at the beggining where they are dubbing the school girls voices is brilliant. Also the part with that guys sister's friends all abuse him for his beard is brilliant aswell. It was like watching a pack of vultures decend. Once again the river bank Girl part had me almost crying aswell. ''Nooooooooo''
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of great bits, but my favourites are always the bits at the end. Their mention of going to London would be a reference to the K-ON! movie, I love how they try to redo the singing and it gets even worse, sounds like they must have had fun with some of that. And that the guy with the hat was able to beat the girls again.

And that the student council tried to salvage the girls pride by looking like thugs, but the she acts like one. Laughing
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
the literary girl section was completely insane. still down with this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2