• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Music Sales Revenue Increases by 10% in 2023

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:51 pm Reply with quote
There was an article published in the Nikkei a week before the report was published which is really interesting if you want to know more about the broader state of the Japanese music industry. What it boils down to is Japanese consumers aren't all that interested in Western music anymore with very little of it making the charts and are listening mostly to Japanese artists or K-Pop. I didn't really notice this too much on my last trip there in March / April last year. I found plenty LPs and CDs of Western artists when I went into Tower Records and smaller retailers like RECOfan and Disk Union. I mostly watched MTV Japan and Space Shower TV as I can't stand a lot of Japanese TV. I did notice a lot of K-Pop and J-Pop on Space Shower TV, but MTV Japan did program a lot of current Western music and older music videos.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
What it boils down to is Japanese consumers aren't all that interested in Western music anymore with very little of it making the charts and are listening mostly to Japanese artists or K-Pop.

Honestly, not surprised by this statement. Personally, I find current music from here (USA) sounding super manufactured now. With much respect to musicians, as there's talent/skill in vocal, instrumental, and lyrical works, there's a lack of sincere feeling these days. Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't sound new or innovative to my ears. I can't really tell anymore. Almost like you live too long, you hear it all. I almost compare it to "TV" shows. I'm leaning heavily in foreign productions these days because there's a sense of freshness I'm not getting from shows made here.

J-Music has been huge on my Spotify for the better part of 6-months. That and Jazz. Didn't listen to much Jazz in my early years, guess I'm making up for it.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 am Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Greboruri wrote:
What it boils down to is Japanese consumers aren't all that interested in Western music anymore with very little of it making the charts and are listening mostly to Japanese artists or K-Pop.

Honestly, not surprised by this statement. Personally, I find current music from here (USA) sounding super manufactured now. With much respect to musicians, as there's talent/skill in vocal, instrumental, and lyrical works, there's a lack of sincere feeling these days. Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't sound new or innovative to my ears. I can't really tell anymore. Almost like you live too long, you hear it all. I almost compare it to "TV" shows. I'm leaning heavily in foreign productions these days because there's a sense of freshness I'm not getting from shows made here.

This. I also do not listen to current music from here anymore, unless it’s an artist I’ve followed for a while. I mainly listen to Japanese music with a dash of K-Pop and C-Pop and “older” hits (older meaning 1980s to 2010 or so). I’ve even bought a few CDs from Japan to support my favorite bands. I also don’t watch much current tv or movies from here. It’s either anime or I rewatch some of my favorite “older” shows or movies.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:10 am Reply with quote
I have been very impressed with Japanese music lately, considering I couldn't stomach it 15 years ago. There's so much interesting stuff, and there seem to be no rules when it comes to making music in Japan. Japanese rock, in particular, feels like a breath of fresh air in today's music scene, where rock has become increasingly rare.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:47 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Greboruri wrote:

Honestly, not surprised by this statement. Personally, I find current music from here (USA) sounding super manufactured now.

Wait, J-Pop and K-Pop are even more super-manufactured, where "talent" agencies are the masters of their performers, instead of the other way around
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1