• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - So, Is Sound Euphonium Queerbaiting or Not?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:11 am Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
...Do girls have to have sex onscreen for you to think "that's gay"?)

Not explicitly (which would bring the distribution and marketing difficulties of the materials being 18+ hentai), but at least the implication of sexual relationships occurring would bring clarity. Or at least give us a nosebleed or two if the show tends toward comedy (ah, good old anime tropes).

Nev999 wrote:

Also I haven't seen Liz and Bluebird but according to the director she didn't intend it to be gay, so that's not a great defense for the team being pro-yuri.

I will contend the director got her point across, since unlike some others I did not find Liz and the Bluebird to be yuri.
light turner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:13 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I've seen enough of hollywood acting like it's trying to "appease" angry queer people and meet queer representation quotas. Make good queer shows and movies so we can praise them. I sincerely hope the popularity and love for positive steps like Yuri on Ice and G-Witch open the way to encourage more anime to go down that road and innovate.

But those two shows are also prime examples of being wishy washy and refusing to be committal for the sake of plausible deniability for the mainstream audience. Refusal to have on-screen confirmation, intimacy, or anything else in them for the sake of being open to interpretation for people who don't care about that stuff.

Also I feel like we need to make a distinction that all of these series are usually not aimed at gay people feeling represented so much as it's about straight people enjoying seeing this stuff. Sound Euphonium is a seinen title aimed at guys who like seeing cute schoolgirls akin to K-On so it's going to focus on what it's target audience wants which is cute interactions. If people want series actually aimed at a gay audience they'll probably have more success diving into manga since that's a more niche market. I would only call them a "misstep" if their goal was anything else than what they set out to do. This series is not meant to be something like She Loves to Cook and She Loves to Eat where the creator specifically set out to focus on gay-focused stories that are not fanservice and actually puts Pride flags in her art and talks about gay rights and stuff in Japan.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:00 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
The Shuuichi hate genuinely baffles me, given that he’s arguably the biggest victim in the entire series. He’s just a slightly boring dude with a crush that the narrative decided to do dirty the entire way through.

First you have season one, where Kumiko’s main reaction to him is either “urgh/geh” or just completely not recognizing his existence, with season two being barely an improvement (there’s a few scenes where Kumiko grumbles about her troubles to him in passing). Then we go from 26 episodes covering an entire year to a single movie covering the next, where his confession is dropped in the cold open, almost like a joke. Now suddenly we’re expected to believe Kumiko also shares feelings towards him, despite every bit of textual & visual imagery exclusively focusing on her intense, almost visceral fixations towards Reina & Asuka.

The poor guy has basically been forced into a romance subplot, despite every piece of information the show presents us depicting something else entire. Like, even now in his supposedly higher role as vice-president, he barely has a shot in the OP & nothing in the ED. The kid’s been royally screwed over by the narrative he exists within.

From what I understand the original book also presents Kumiko's fascination & pining towards some of her peers as pretty intimate, but as you’ve said, Kyoani’s direction under Yamada takes it to a whole other level. It’s hardly the first time she’s done this, with A Silent Voice & Heike Story also spinning the narrative in favour of her particular fixations, to the detriment of the original text (well, mostly with Voice), & when it’s done this aggressively it actively undermines parts of the original text, while over-emphasising others. So now the new staff are effectively left having to continue legacy content that has reframed & muddled up all the central character relationships.

Personally my head cannon is that Kumiko is absolutely gay (still not convinced about Reina tbh), but is trapped within the narrative, like a marionette being puppeted by invisible strings, to believe she isn’t. So after the show ends she & Shuuichi will date for like 6 months before the realisation hits her like a bolt of lightning. Then she’ll go on to find true happiness, while Shuuichi will throw a dried dog turd at Yamada’s front door for wasting everyone’s time. The end.

I don't know how he's represented in novels, but I remember that form the first episode I disliked the guy, look, you fucked up as a kid and now your ex-friend moved on and doesn't want anything to do with you, just accept the L and move on as well, instead of trying to enter the same river again like nothing happened. And, again, dunno about novels vs anime, but I can't believe that Kumiko's interactions with him and his problems could be really captivating compared to enormous and beautiful drama with Reina, so I find it hard to criticize anime director for deciding to figuratively throw him to the wolves, I never could care about him at all. I agree with you about making own head-canon with Kumiko ditching him later. I dropped the series midway in second season, I started to get bored of the constant weird drama, despite enjoying it when it was Kumiko and Reina's stuff, so I can't really say much about how it was handled later.

As for baiting, I can understand feeling betrayed by the narrative, given how much better
the gay stuff is, even if over-emphasized by anime, but after learning that hetero romance was in the original source, do people here who dislike queer-baiting here think they should just never put emphasis the gay stuff between two female leads in the first place? I don't know, I think anime was better for re-framing that from source by "gaywashing" and giving us those hot scenes, despite obviously resulting controversy, then again I'm not gay myself.

There is also the point raised by some people, that some of the "queer-baiting" in anime/manga is less about representation but more about throwing fanservice to shippers, be they gay or straight, who want to make their own head-cannon and smutty fanfics. It's not that different from those ecchi yet chaste harem anime, where you have ton of girls competing for male MC, lucky pervert moments, and fandom split over best waifu wars and marriage fanfics, yet male MC is shown as totally dense and not interested in the romance at all. The relationship stuff in anime is sometimes purposefully directed at fans with the understanding that it's they're supposed to play as they like with own non-canon fiction, and I think Japanese fans may be more "in" on that and feel less betrayed, but that's only my guessing.

EDIT: I'm sure I've seen hetero manga with hand-holding, confession in last chapter, then time-skip to marriage without any kiss scene - if we get anything after confession at all - so that can just be unfortunate but relatively normal thing in manga, where stuff like "indirect kiss" with shared water bottle is more important and blush-worthy than actual kiss, and love confession is akin to marriage vows.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:07 am Reply with quote
1: kyoani started as a sewing circle for nerd housewives back in the ...70s?
2: from the get-go, every kyoani show has included significant queer-coded characters of various sorts.

I mean, there's one editorial perspective that can unite this into a unified whole, right? If you twist and jiggle things, there's an angle where everything lines up just *right* and you think "oh of course". Give it a shot.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:14 am Reply with quote
As a longtime Kumirei truther my take is yes, it is bait, but it baits so hard that it somehow wraps back around to just being canon. Literally even the movie where Kumiko dates Shuuichi ends up reinforcing the idea that it's Reina where her heart truly lies. Whatever the creators intended, their sapphicness has long outgrown any attempts to control it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:46 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched the movie, nor started the new season, mostly because I feel like I need to re-watch from the start to remember what's going on; and, am a vanilla straight dude, with no particularly strong investment in whether Reina/Kumiko are gay or not, and have pretty often found myself disagreeing with that kind of shipping in other shows; but, FWIW, I 10000% think Eupho has some significant queerbaiting in it. Hell, it should probably be the go-to example for defining it in tvtropes.

I can't think of a romantically deeper, more blazingly gay portrayal of the relationship between two apparently canonically straight (or, at most, bi-but-that-is-completely-narratively-unacknowledged) characters. Eupho's story and direction never seemed to have any interest in Shuuichi, nor did Kumiko, and it genuinely feels like the show would have been better off just going all-in on Reina x Kumiko and writing Shuuichi out entirely, or at least relegating him to a clearly platonic role (which is something else I don't often feel is the case---not specifically because of the LGBTQ angle, but because re-writing source material adequately is hard and generally fails miserably more often than not).

Mm, and while I appreciate TWIA's argument that it may not be malicious, my impression at least was that intent isn't really required for the way 'queerbaiting' is usually used. I feel like people usually use it to describe the impact of a work / how it is generally received, intent aside, even if I can imagine finding evidence it was done intentionally would probably be particularly incensing.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:18 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
But those two shows are also prime examples of being wishy washy and refusing to be committal for the sake of plausible deniability for the mainstream audience.

It's been a while since I've seen Yuri on Ice, but they kissed, didn't they? Obscured by their arms so as to try (and fail) to avoid controversy, but a kiss is a kiss. And G-Witch was anything but subtle. Part of the reason Bandai's denial of the characters' relationship was so dumb was because there is no ambiguity in the show itself. Things are rarely blatant in TV anime because gayness is still a controversial topic, but especially when they aired, both shows pushed boundaries. That pushing more and more boundaries is what we should praise, even if incremental.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:26 am Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
...Do girls have to have sex onscreen for you to think "that's gay"?)

No, but I always think back to Bakemonogtari where Kanbaru just comes out and says "I'm a lesbian." It's that simple and it sure didn't hurt Bakemonogatari's mainstream appeal any. More like that, please.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
I don't read/watch the series but here is a take: If the original novel(s) implied that there are LGBT relationships in the romantic sense, though implied is subjective, then fine adding them in to the anime. If not, shame on KyoAni for doing this. The same applies to hetero romance relationships.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The obvious solution is Kumiko and Reina are bi.

That still leads into comp het like they had a lesbian relationship then grew out. Think college lesbians.
Also why are 2 men discussing this DURING LESBIAN VISIBILTIY WEEK
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:06 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:
The Shuuichi hate genuinely baffles me, given that he’s arguably the biggest victim in the entire series. He’s just a slightly boring dude with a crush that the narrative decided to do dirty the entire way through.

First you have season one, where Kumiko’s main reaction to him is either “urgh/geh” or just completely not recognizing his existence, with season two being barely an improvement (there’s a few scenes where Kumiko grumbles about her troubles to him in passing). Then we go from 26 episodes covering an entire year to a single movie covering the next, where his confession is dropped in the cold open, almost like a joke. Now suddenly we’re expected to believe Kumiko also shares feelings towards him, despite every bit of textual & visual imagery exclusively focusing on her intense, almost visceral fixations towards Reina & Asuka.

The poor guy has basically been forced into a romance subplot, despite every piece of information the show presents us depicting something else entire. Like, even now in his supposedly higher role as vice-president, he barely has a shot in the OP & nothing in the ED. The kid’s been royally screwed over by the narrative he exists within.

From what I understand the original book also presents Kumiko's fascination & pining towards some of her peers as pretty intimate, but as you’ve said, Kyoani’s direction under Yamada takes it to a whole other level. It’s hardly the first time she’s done this, with A Silent Voice & Heike Story also spinning the narrative in favour of her particular fixations, to the detriment of the original text (well, mostly with Voice), & when it’s done this aggressively it actively undermines parts of the original text, while over-emphasising others. So now the new staff are effectively left having to continue legacy content that has reframed & muddled up all the central character relationships.

Personally my head cannon is that Kumiko is absolutely gay (still not convinced about Reina tbh), but is trapped within the narrative, like a marionette being puppeted by invisible strings, to believe she isn’t. So after the show ends she & Shuuichi will date for like 6 months before the realisation hits her like a bolt of lightning. Then she’ll go on to find true happiness, while Shuuichi will throw a dried dog turd at Yamada’s front door for wasting everyone’s time. The end.

I don't know how he's represented in novels, but I remember that form the first episode I disliked the guy, look, you fucked up as a kid and now your ex-friend moved on and doesn't want anything to do with you, just accept the L and move on as well, instead of trying to enter the same river again like nothing happened. And, again, dunno about novels vs anime, but I can't believe that Kumiko's interactions with him and his problems could be really captivating compared to enormous and beautiful drama with Reina, so I find it hard to criticize anime director for deciding to figuratively throw him to the wolves, I never could care about him at all. I agree with you about making own head-canon with Kumiko ditching him later. I dropped the series midway in second season, I started to get bored of the constant weird drama, despite enjoying it when it was Kumiko and Reina's stuff, so I can't really say much about how it was handled later.

As for baiting, I can understand feeling betrayed by the narrative, given how much better
the gay stuff is, even if over-emphasized by anime, but after learning that hetero romance was in the original source, do people here who dislike queer-baiting here think they should just never put emphasis the gay stuff between two female leads in the first place? I don't know, I think anime was better for re-framing that from source by "gaywashing" and giving us those hot scenes, despite obviously resulting controversy, then again I'm not gay myself.

There is also the point raised by some people, that some of the "queer-baiting" in anime/manga is less about representation but more about throwing fanservice to shippers, be they gay or straight, who want to make their own head-cannon and smutty fanfics. It's not that different from those ecchi yet chaste harem anime, where you have ton of girls competing for male MC, lucky pervert moments, and fandom split over best waifu wars and marriage fanfics, yet male MC is shown as totally dense and not interested in the romance at all. The relationship stuff in anime is sometimes purposefully directed at fans with the understanding that it's they're supposed to play as they like with own non-canon fiction, and I think Japanese fans may be more "in" on that and feel less betrayed, but that's only my guessing.

EDIT: I'm sure I've seen hetero manga with hand-holding, confession in last chapter, then time-skip to marriage without any kiss scene - if we get anything after confession at all - so that can just be unfortunate but relatively normal thing in manga, where stuff like "indirect kiss" with shared water bottle is more important and blush-worthy than actual kiss, and love confession is akin to marriage vows.

For the record lesbianism has always been about subtlety see romantic 2 girl friendship. Hell Homumado said friends until Rebellion. Rev Star Hikari and Karen never said I love you just Karen saying Hikari 400 times. On the male side Judai never said he loved Johan or Yubel just fought the latter in a wedding duel. Side note here's queer baiting Takatsuki from wandering son. You know the one. There is also the issue of writers not knowing they wrote queer characters example Maomao from Apothecary Diaries displays traits of aroace sexuality being repulsed by the only guy showing interest and only wanting to work on medicine.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:48 am Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Oh please, let’s not start that discussion.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Oh please, let’s not start that discussion.

No let's we get ignored all the time treated like a fetish "Isn't it enough I like girl on girl?" thanks Peacemaker. We get told our feelings pass. We get treated like experiments so no I won't let this go.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:

1) Same-sex couples who are women aren't always lesbians.
2) At least one of the collumn authors mentioned they are bi.
3) Queerbaiting is an issue for all queer people.

I personally think the collumn authors demonstrate a pretty clear understanding of the topic and the issue plaguing the show's romantic themes. Euphonium just started up again, and as such, so has this topic in the fandom. I don't think it makes sense to hold out another week just to avoid somehow stepping on our toes.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:

1) Same-sex couples who are women aren't always lesbians.
2) At least one of the collumn authors mentioned they are bi.
3) Queerbaiting is an issue for all queer people.

I personally think the collumn authors demonstrate a pretty clear understanding of the topic and the issue plaguing the show's romantic themes. Euphonium just started up again, and as such, so has this topic in the fandom. I don't think it makes sense to hold out another week just to avoid somehow stepping on our toes.

I guess but again it feels awkward
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6