• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Go, Go, Loser Ranger! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Go, Go, Loser Ranger! (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 13 volumes, by Negi Haruba)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Yostar Pictures

Genres: action, science fiction

Themes: aliens, superheroes

Plot Summary: 13 years ago, a giant floating fortress appeared 10 kilometers in the sky, and an evil army called "Kaijin" started attacking humanity. The Kaijin have regenerative powers, so they are effectively immortal and pose a real threat to humanity. A new organization called Ryūjin Sentai Dragon Keeper featuring people with mysterious powers and weapons called Jingu continue to fight against the Kaijin to this very day.

Air Date & Platform:
April 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Hulu

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

I haven't seen a lot of sentai/squadron anime being made, recently. I grew up loving Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as a kid, so a modernized anime version of the concept sounds like it could be fun.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
Yes sir, sign me up for the entire season sir. The first half of ranger versus monster action was pretty fun yet it was the second half that sold me on the show. Seeing Duster D decide to infiltrate the rangers and try to make a victory possible somehow seems like it will be exciting, this in particular since the cards seem so stacked against them power wise. In a ranger/sentai show the baddies usually have some elite generals to count on but those have been wacked long ago.

Add the strong presentation to the unique premise and I am all in.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this one's got its own identify, and the art and animation aren't bad. I dug it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:28 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, based on the first episode I did not expect the rangers to be nice of fair, that said, I did not expect them to be murderous lunatics either. Red is a complete justice zealout who believes his actions are always the right ones and blue seems to have pretty big anger issues. The organisation surrounding the rangers is also a hell of a lot bigger than I expected, it seems like every ranger has a squad and there are other support squads too.

Given D his fumbling (a master of planning and intrigue he is not) and the sheer opposition he is up against he should be really glad that he has an unexpected ally in Yumeko. The big question is why the latter is helping.

Great OP btw.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting things to get that tense that fast, but I'm still liking this a lot even if the emphasis on comedy isn't as heavy as I expected. The MC makes a good underdog. As to Suzukiri, she and her pitch black eyes are coming across more as a schemer trying to upend the power balance than a champion of true justice, but it's early days.,
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 am Reply with quote
Along with her black eyes (and wtf is up with the red-headed cheerleader guy's green jewels? - if she wasn't already hip to D's deception, his eyes would've given it away. Good thing he got to skip the retinal scan, huh), I've been pegging her as a rival alien faction from her first intro because of her antenna pigtails.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I've been pegging her as a rival alien faction from her first intro because of her antenna pigtails.

I'm so used to anime hair not obeying conventional hair rules (like perpetually stray locks straightening up to show interest, or those big drill locks having a life of their own) that the pigtails didn't even register. But that would be a cool plotline.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Great fun episode 3, relentless pacing and multiple plot twists that pay off nicely.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 am Reply with quote
It's more intense than I was expecting. Not that I'm complaining. The anime's original and keeps me invested. Hard to tell who's going to be an enemy and who's going to be an ally once this show stops playing musical plot developments.

I'm assuming the MC isn't really gone Sean Bean, Game of Thrones style since he's, y'know, the MC and featured so predominantly in the OP. My question is, is that big bad at the end a return of one of the old style monster leaders, or is it the MC having achieved some kind of evolution due to it's near death atomization?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 am Reply with quote
It is indeed pretty damn intense and fast paced too. I went into the episode expecting a slow episode gathering information and formulating a plan that would start the following week. What we got was the actual attempt that went really poorly (rip red joker dude?) while actual progress was indeed made. Said success will likely make getting the remaining divine weapons way harder.

The episode ends with a whole lot of questions. The main one if D is indeed dead, given the OP I also find that rather hard to imagine so he probably has some trick up his sleeve somehow. Then there is the question what yellow squad is trying to achieve, some kind of alien/human peace maybe? As for the dude at the end, he might be one of the monster leaders yet they are supposed to be all dead.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am Reply with quote
Well, the good news is that D is alive and kicking and thanks to some help he is now primed and ready to make his entry into the ranger organisation. The bad news is that everybody in the show is bad shit bonkers in some way or another. The red keeper casually killing his second in command while not stopping to eat was something else. Hibiki ending up messed up due to his insane parent also fits, though I do wonder how he actually survived the alien attack (said alien was also briefly shown last week). As for blue goop guy, he is also not the most stable person.

I do have to say, the episode felt rather rushed. That rushed feeling goes especially for the switch that they made, there was no time to make it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:46 am Reply with quote
What was up with the little demon creature that popped in and out of the meeting? From looking at the Keepers and their aides, I'm getting the impression that all of the aides are actually aliens, and not just Suzukiri. It would explain why Red Ranger felt so free to murder his in front of witnesses, and why Blue's second seemed to be melting after using the replica weapon, like he was having trouble maintaining his form.

And yeah, Hibiki sure did gloss over that detail of how he survived in a story already too detailed, huh. "Somehow I managed to survive," with that "somehow" doing a lot of heavy lifting.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:31 am Reply with quote
Smurky and Gina - Yah, this show is really good/bad for not sweating the small details when dealing with near death experiences and body swaps. I wouldn't go so far as to say that's part of its charm, but so far it hasn't bothered me.

I've been thinking that there's clearly something other than human going on with the Ranger Rip-offs for a bit considering their artifacts, and their weird sidekicks are part of that. Not sure where or how that differs from alien monsters yet.

Geez, that dad was one creepy mixed bag.

Oh, and if it wasn't clear from those comments, I'm still loving the show. We've been blessed with a number of anime that are unique this season, or at least aren't just coasting in a low effort, well tread comfort zone (not that I have too much of a problem with that if its done reasonably well and its one of my comfort zones) and this anime is one of them.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:29 am Reply with quote
PSA: there will be no new episode today, it seems like golf is too powerful for the rangers to beat.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 and I'm all caught up but still have no idea what's going on. That first post image showcases everything but explains nothing. I have never seen a show before that kept spoilers in both the opener and closer out in the open but still had them be a surprise.

I like it but I don't know why I like it. I want to know why Yumoko has those dead eyes, that's all I know.

Time to hazard a guess: They're all aliens. That's all I got. The guy who seemed the most human just cut off his right hand like it was nothing, something's off, something is very off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2