• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Train to the End of the World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:45 am Reply with quote
I like Sonny Boy and watched it all the way through, but I'd have a hard time explaining why or what it was about. It was one of those cases where I was able to just watch and stop trying to figure stuff out. And I loved Wonder Egg Priority up until the last 3 episodes.

I'm not sure why I find some shows that are an onslaught of weird interesting and others annoying. It's hard to define the barometer that measures the difference between innovative and fun and self-indulgent and boring in that regard.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it can be hard to figure that out, but I'm the same way. For me, one of the barometers of whether I'm enjoying The Weird or not is if I sense that there is an underlying logic to the weirdness, if that makes any sense. If it's the Cuisinart approach where you sense the show is just throwing out a constant parade of weirdness, "try this! try this! try this!" then I'm less likely to get engaged. I have the same reaction to that kind of show as I do when somebody irl says to me, "Wow, I had the weirdest dream last night..." and then proceeds to go into boring detail about images and events that don't mean shit to me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:26 am Reply with quote
My daughter noticed in the intro of Ep1 that the "7G" network description is similar to the Musk Neuralink so either everyone has this prior and the weirdness is an effective mass hallucination or the author is using the Hindu "reality is what people collectively believe it is" concept to have the Neuralink system cause an alternate (chaotic) reality to occur. This is mentioned by Zenjiro when he reverts to sanity, so that should be the running concept. Also noticed that he was lobotomized, apparently to keep him from voicing dissent for the government conspiracy to forcibly get everyone in the 7G network...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, it can be hard to figure that out, but I'm the same way. For me, one of the barometers of whether I'm enjoying The Weird or not is if I sense that there is an underlying logic to the weirdness, if that makes any sense.

Same here, but it's a *sense* of an internal logic. That's what makes it hard to...I dunno...outline? Typify? BS about? I always felt like Sonny Boy was playing by the rules it established, but I'd hate to try to make the rule book. To differing degrees it's the same with shows like Boogie Pop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain and the first Puella Magicka series though none of them are similar to this new show in tone from what I've seen so far.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:15 pm Reply with quote
My only issue with the show so far is that the girls are setting off on a quest with no food, drink, or even a change of clothes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:53 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My daughter noticed in the intro of Ep1 that the "7G" network description is similar to the Musk Neuralink so either everyone has this prior and the weirdness is an effective mass hallucination or the author is using the Hindu "reality is what people collectively believe it is" concept to have the Neuralink system cause an alternate (chaotic) reality to occur. This is mentioned by Zenjiro when he reverts to sanity, so that should be the running concept. Also noticed that he was lobotomized, apparently to keep him from voicing dissent for the government conspiracy to forcibly get everyone in the 7G network...

The neuralink thing makes me wonder if people's neurons were literally attached to the net, but whether this meant implants or some kind of wave frequency accessible to the electrochemical transmitter that is our brain I have no idea. So far I've managed not to get hung up on making sense out of this one Wink

But when stuff starts getting into the Hindu world is an illusion and group mind and Jungian collective unconscious stuff and Matrix territory, I find it pretty fascinating.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:45 pm Reply with quote
^^Blame Blood- for musing about "internal logic" because I made the post to address that there should be some of that based on the 7G settup. I guess we'll see as there is no guarantee of that...

Yeah, everyone having an implant seems to be a stretch and not mentioning that bit a huge oversight in the setup, so "microwave neural stimulation" would have to be it if they are going for any hope of quasi-realism...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I would not be surprised if they handwave that whole 7G thing with anime logic to just make it work. I would like for there to be a solid explanation behind it but I also went searching for one of those in Sonny Boy.....

As for everyone having implants, with the speed things are going that may not even be that weird a thought in 10 to 15 years.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
My only issue with the show so far is that the girls are setting off on a quest with no food, drink, or even a change of clothes.

You seem to be assuming they won't be encountering any post-apocalyptic convenis on the journey... Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Huh, the second episode somehow feels like a combination of the rarely serious yet often nonsensical conversations from Joshiraku combined with sometimes being put in an anomaly of sorts. Speaking of the latter, seems like that map is indeed correct given that the first icon was an animal/bear? and the second mushrooms. As for supplies, water is in no short supply and that pickle plant is growing like crazy so it seems like they are good for sustenance, as for the other stuff, maybe they can buy it in mushroom town?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm still having fun as of episode 2. I enjoyed the interaction of the passengers fine. There were lots of little flourishes - the growing vine, the river tidal wave, the hobo on a floating duck, etc. I have a feeling I'm going to be watching this one all the way through the end.

That said, my anime docket's looking a little less crowded this season though all the new and returning shows haven't premiered yet.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Like Undead Unluck before it, this show might well be the most unpredictable of this season's offerings. Granted it's an original show and not an adaptation, the way the story is going suggests the only consistent thing about it is 1. The train has to make the journey of indeterminate length to Ikebukuro and 2. Even if the girls make it there unscathed, they have find another way to return as part of the route has been destroyed. If the rails are destroyed, it makes the 5pm daily contact ritual virtually impossible. Not sure how that's going to be dealt with moving forward.

Before the catastrophe, it would have taken the train service they're operating roughly an hour to travel from Agano to Ikebukuro. Now to travel to the next station on their itinerary took them an entire day. Taking that into account, they have nowhere near enough food and supplies to get them there in one piece. They can't subsist on bitter gourd (and they'll have to be careful the vine doesn't overgrow and stop the train entirely) and the snacks they have will last one or two days at most. If they're going to resupply, they can only do it at each station on the route. But will the locals they encounter be as friendly as their Agano neighbours?

The crazed vagrant on the swan boat hasn't really given them anything useful beyond trusting what they can see, unless the map they've been provided has more meaning than just random symbols. The only thing that matches so far is the first station (Agano) has an animal's head which is what the adults turn into, while the second station (East Agano) has a mushroom which is what the adults in this settlement end up with (they retain human form but get fungal appendages). The world they live in is effectively a series of Galapagos islands, so no communications between settlements is possible beyond the delivery service people who brave the horrors of the journey to deliver to each area. If that map is anything to go by, the girls have a terrifying journey ahead of them as some of those symbols (regardless of terrible drawing skills) do not bode well for them.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Just to get an idea of how much the distances between stations has changed since the 7G incident, the real life Agano and Higashi-Agano stations are only 4km apart. The total distance from their starting point to Ikebukuro Station is 57.8km.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Just to get an idea of how much the distances between stations has changed since the 7G incident, the real life Agano and Higashi-Agano stations are only 4km apart. The total distance from their starting point to Ikebukuro Station is 57.8km.

Assuming that's the average pace they will travel in this new world, they have to provision for a minimum of 15 days travel. We have 13 episodes scheduled for the quarter assuming no recaps. I have a feeling the pacing per week won't be one stop per episode.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:15 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if this has been inspired by Night on the Galactic Railroad. The no-going-back moment hints it may turn out to be meditation on life and death.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4