• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Gisan Otaku wrote:
Patience young Padawans. Everything will be revealed in due time. Smile

Well, now that the Master has spoken, I guess there is no need for any further discussion of any kind about this series. Was fun while it lasted...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I have seen a recap intro pop up in several shows this season. That would normally not be strange, yet it is strange that they are not at the start of the season, but at some weird point like episode 8 in the case of Saint's Magic Power.

Anyway, seems like the last miasma swamp is going to be the trickiest one yet. We have undead wolves and now also a giant undead boar. There is also a dragon given what episode 1 showed. Also some romantic moments and meeting the parents.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:36 am Reply with quote
Yah, looks like we're edging towards that opening scene.

If I'm picking up on all those hints about not expecting the bad times to end so soon, this undead development is going to be about the miasma swamps just being the tip of the evilberg.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
Romantic moments? She still acts like she's either afraid of him or wishes he'd stop dogging her or both. Since he's not picking up on the signals she's sending (even if they're not how she actually feels, but I'm no longer sure if that's the case since she's not progressed beyond a 12-year old's grasp of romance in all this time), that makes him either harem-protag dense or a self-centered jerk. I'm really starting to hate this season.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:56 am Reply with quote
Personally I think Sei's problem comes from her lack of experience of any social interaction outside of work. I'm guessing that this might be very common in workaholic Japan.
What I did like about this episode was the scenery. It reminded me of the Alps in Switzerland or Austria. Also, that huge boar make me think of the huge boars from Princess Monoke.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Except she seems to be doing fine with the people she works with, royalty, adoring soldiers, foreign princes, and nobles of any gender. She even had the social awareness to think Hawke's interaction with his father was odd, and then to realize what was going on. It's only around him, and if he'd give her some feedback that he knows he's making her uncomfortable or would back off, then maybe she'd get a clue. It's just so frustrating watching them fail to communicate in any reasonable way. They're Gina's Law in action and one of them isn't even Japanese. Rolling Eyes
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:08 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

Think of it as a culture clash between the highly subtle, indirect manners and speech of the Salutanian (or any other for that matter) noble class and the highly reticent human relations of middle class Japanese.

Poor communication is the heart of any romance novel regardless of culture of origin. If they were able to talk to each other most romances would be finished in a few chapters. That said, the Japanese do take it to another level. At least Sei hasn't seen Hawke in a easily explained compromising situation and run off to another country for a few years only to reconnect after a decade, both still chaste. (the plot of a bodice ripper my wife read a few years back)

Do you really have any doubt about how it will end? The only question is if it will be before the end of this season. For what it is worth, spoiler[a couple of volumes back in the source material the author apologized for the slow romantic progress. ]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, can't think of it that way. Hawke's been pretty direct about how he sees her, short of openly confessing his undying love, while her body language practically shouts, "Can I go now?" or "Would you go away now?" with him and only with him. She's not so shy around anyone else, not even the King. There's reticent and socially awkward and then there's, "Help, I'm being stalked!"
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:27 am Reply with quote
I do agree somewhat in that you have to wonder if your advances are appreciated when all you get as reactions are awkwards laughs and spasms. Hawke should take it down a step or two and see how Sei reacts. That said, if Sei reacts by wondering why Hawke is no longer as interested/charming and she sees that as a sad thing then the blame lies solely on her for having the communication skills of a grade schooler.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:17 am Reply with quote
The only part of Hawke's behavior that I kinda get is that, as was pointed out to him, if he waits around, she could get arranged out of his life. But I guess it rubs me the wrong way that he ignores her body language and doesn't even listen to her when she does drop her guard because it doesn't match what he wants. I've had that happen enough myself, even when I was much clearer than Sei has been with my words. And the worst was a visiting Japanese man who saw himself as my superior in the hierarchy, so "oh, the Japanese are just so shy" doesn't cut it with me. Had to finally have my supervisor (a man) intervene before he could hear it. So forgive me for being touchy about it (so to speak). Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:28 am Reply with quote
I don't see Sei's reaction that way. Her actions are not "this is excessive, go away" but rather "I don't know how to deal with this and am embarrassed" If she didn't want to deal with him she could avoid him. Instead, the moment he shows at the institute she is there with tea and sweets to serve to Hawke and Johan. Not to mention that she displays the same type of embarrassment when she acknowledges that it is her affection for Hawke that enables her "Saint's Magic". She has no problems dealing with others simply because she has no romantic feelings for them.

Back when Hawke first started giving Sei rides, Liz flatly told her that it was "noble speak" that he was into her. Sei just didn't want to believe it. She still thinks of herself as an undeserving commoner while everyone else sees her as above everyone.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:12 am Reply with quote
The problem is that Hawke is not a mindreader and thus does not know all that. Hawke seems patient so far, but it would make sense for him to wonder whether what he is doing is actually working or not and even wonder if she might be bothered by it. Sei is indeed not avoiding him, yet besides a bit of blushing and mumbling she is not making things clear either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If she didn't want to deal with him she could avoid him.

But she does try to avoid him. In this very episode, she snuck off to her room, apparently without a word, and he came searching for her. And it's not the first time he's tracked her down when she's tried to be alone (see post-recap opening scene for one). It's not just a one-time thing, it's a pattern.

Anyway, if you've never been on the receiving end of Hawke-like attention, you're free to see it more benignly, as the author probably intended, but I'm really hating it on both their parts. Just watching them together makes me uncomfortable, as they are so clearly not on the same page - and that's even being privy to her internal feelings, which admittedly are chaos.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:24 am Reply with quote
8:

Ah yes, things are finally starting to look exciting!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:32 am Reply with quote
Mmmmn, Reading this thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a female friend about her obsession with sexy vampires. This was about ten years ago, give or take a few years, back when she was obsessed with a show called Vampire Diaries. I saw one episode with her, which was enough to convince me that I wasn't the show's target audience.

Anyway, I was like, "If this were real life, and some asshat with model good looks was trying to be this bossy and arrogant, you'd hate him." And her response was that it was all about the fantasy, that in real life, she had to worry about bills and guy's feelings and not letting her inner neurosis out too much, so the idea of some rich sex toy sweeping in and taking care of all her life needs without her having to worry about hurting his feelings was a nice escape. In real life, svengali stalker. In fantasy, escape hatch.

Which I sort of got. It's not like there aren't femme fatales and yanderes and such who are fun to fantasize about but who I would run away from screaming if they pinged on my radar in real life.

But that person didn't speak for all women, any more than I speak for all men. And honestly, this isn't a show that I worry about much one way or the other. This season has alternated between being a bit boring and a bit irritating to me.

For my part, I went the possibly sexist route of just assuming that Rei and Hawke made a genuine connection during season 1 during all those life and death situations, and that this season was all about their inability to make any progress with those feelings because he lacks finesse and she lacks confidence.

I thought Hawke wanted to step up his game because he got freaked out about all of the machinations and social pressures starting to circulate around Rei, but trying to be more extroverted goes against his nature, so he's been messing up. And Rei is also getting freaked out about all of the machinations and social pressures, but her reaction is to go even more introverted. Basically, him acting like a friendly, over eager puppy, and her acting like a turtle. I've thought that they were both being a bit inconsiderate of the other person because of their insecurities. People screw up and act stupid because of their insecurities all the time, and things get complicated, there are frictions and misunderstandings, etc.

But I can see how the last few episodes could be interpreted differently, especially if someone had experienced an asshat using "good intentions" or the "you're thinking too much" excuse to justify their garbage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9