• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song- (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote

Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song- (TV)

Genres: science fiction
Themes: music

Plot Summary: Nierland—an A.I complex theme park where dreams, hopes, and science intermingle. Created as the first-ever autonomous humanoid A.I, Vivy acts as an A.I cast for the establishment. To fulfill her mission of making everyone happy through songs, she continues to take the stage and perform with all her heart. However, the theme park was still lacking in popularity.

One day, an A.I named Matsumoto appears before Vivy and explains that he has travelled from 100 years into the future, with the mission to correct history with Vivy and prevent the war between A.I and humanity that is set to take place 100 years later.

What sort of future will the encounter of two A.I with different missions redraw? This is the story of A.I destroying A.I. A.I diva Vivy's 100-year journey begins.

(Source: MAL News)
----------------------------------

First two episodes airs back-to-back today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Nagatsuki does seem to love his action movie cliches.

With 86 as well, Saturday is definitely going to be the most stressful anime-watching day for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:54 am Reply with quote
Episodes 2 and 1

I might have made a mistake, I accidentally watched the second episode first, and that actually kind of left a different reaction to if I watched them in the correct order. And that was I kind of liked how the second episode did not do too much to spoon feed information, and I liked how I could pick up what was happening without literally needing to be shown Vivy singing on stage, or the teddy bear being an AI from the future. And it created moments of her empathy an interesting spontaneous part over the little girl from the first episode saying that she sees the empathy. Also an interesting element when said girl was shown about to be killed in the end of the second episode, before I saw that she was a friend of Vivy. Of course there was the punch of suddenly seeing the AI kill humans at the beginning of the first episode that probably lost some power by it being implied by watching the second episode first, but my watching experience made me wonder if they could have mixed some things around with timeframe of the episode in some way.

This is though the sort of thing I love, and am totally into what I saw in this episode. I do have my theories so far that the future AI guy probably misunderstands what the cause of the rampage was. He seems to think the cause was AI becoming too advanced, but the answer is probably something like empathy Vivy probably on some right track of. I would not be surprised if his restricted AI idea of everything for the goal is the exact cause of what makes every AI suddenly become a killer. And the mistake is something like still forcing the one mission rule onto the AI that was put in place when they were simpler machines to not be confused, where Matsumoto might in some way do the same thing to complete his mission. But Vivy's goal being more essentially one of empathy, that maybe only expands as she understand what makes others happier, could be the prevention of what would cause the rampage.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

A 15 year time jump, Matsumoto was in hibernation until the next needed event. Maybe I am misunderstanding things, but his motivations seem a little odd, such that he wants to stop the space station from crashing because it would apparently cause more people to be anti AI, which would feed a war. I would have though he would want to have AI be more distrusted. Apparently a law was passed because of VIvy's actions that were even more than the naming law. Also, Vivy kind of came across like she developed more emotion than she had before, and apparently becoming more popular.

We are meant to think that the prediction that the android leader of the Sunrise Space station is an incorrect idea of who would be responsible for crashing it, that it does not fit her character, before being thrown off by the end of the episode with hints she is up to something and destroys the other android. So is she broken? Is she being manipulated by anti-AI people such that we see a number of suspicious people? She apparently was not responsible for the accident that killed the original human owner, which kind of makes me wonder if that itself has some relevance, that the accident happened in the first place and she could not do anything.

Regardless, I am still curious.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 am Reply with quote
Unless, of course, Matsumoto is not being honest. All of his quests seem to be the opposite of what he says he's trying to accomplish. He says it's to prevent backlash, but there's no proof that he's not trying to guide history in a different way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

If I am understanding right, things were not as Matsumoto expected them. The event happened about a day earlier, and the terrorists planned to let the guests escape, only sacrificing themselves. The head terrorist was also the guy that Vivy saved, which may have impacted his decisions.

The AI leader of Sunrise was also innocent, the culprit was her twin sister that for some reason was disposed of (I am not really sure what reason was given other than being a failure of an experiment), who was kind of programmed to see the terrorist's mission as her true mission. Seeing them as the only humans. Which I could imagine be relevant for why why the sort of the that could cause the AI to start killing humans, that strict adherence to the one job thing that maybe could twist who is human.

Thought at this point I should say that I keep thinking of Sonny the robot from the movie I Robot.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote
What a hard show to... sit through.

On one hand, all the production values and directorial choices are top notch, making an extraordinary viewing experience. Except for Matsumoto's red eyes as anyone who saw I Robot, very loosely based on Isaac Asimov's robot short stories, red eyes are a warning... red in general is a warning and no Teddy Bear would be built so that its eyes would flash red in the dark!

On the other... Asimov himself. I'd like to say the writers here are unknowingly ignorant of the Three Laws of Robots which, fictional or not, would be incorporated into any robot/ai because of course they would. BUT the problem here isn't that they didn't take Asimov's three robotic laws but that they did take the plot of Robots and Foundation. A story about two robots, one humanoid, one decidedly not, two robots who formulated a Zero Law which allowed them to negate all their Robotic Laws, a law that allowed them to see humanity out of some dark times by allowing them to kill some humans when necessary. However despite them living for thousands of years, not knowing the future hampered their ability to control and change. Which is where Foundation comes in, which is about how knowing the future is made into a science. So using that knowledge, using that science, enabled those two robots to better direct humanity.

All neat and tidy. The problem is this story changed "knowing the future" into "knowing the past". So it's could be 1) a stable time loop and Matsumoto is just lying and those two are making that future, 2) a "fate will find a way" situation in that time is self correcting so that no matter what they try to change, it won't change, 3) That Matsumoto's attempt at big changes will be no match for Diva's small changes.

Wait, 1 and 3 are compatible....
Also, something something Terminator. A thought of mine from the first episode: "Haven't I seen a story where someone goes into the past to stop a bad future only makes that future happen? And it also has to do with robots, bad AIs and human near extinction?"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Looks like Vivy's time alterations hit things in a way she would not have expected. Because the island was created ahead of schedule, an AI was chosen to be the central basis, which turned out to be Grace, who would have otherwise stood as an example of happiness with her human husband. The virus meant to shut her down instead made her go into a rampage, I think due to conflicting mission information and emotions in her data. The doctor killed himself after Grace was killed, comparing his love of Grace to an AI's one mission, and it seems to have sent Vivy into a case of some sort of rampage from the confrontation that her actions caused unhappiness. Directly relevant to her songs too, it kind of makes me think of as some similar element that maybe makes the AI go berserk at the point in the future.

Now that I think about it, the AI creating that care like centre to look after human guests, was probably remnants of Grace's old mission as a carer.

Also, Matsumoto multiplied and turned into a gummy ship from Kingdom Hearts.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Looks like Vivy was rebooted after her breakdown, and after that and a bit of time that she is technically 61 now, she is acting totally differently, just being Diva now. She is acting so human, whether that had just become standard for AI in the time jump, where Diva actually became a huge star and is a big hero for her sisters.

New AI Ophelia was introduced, and her personality of very meek, which is surprising for an AI. We were also told that apparently she will be the first AI suicide, whatever that means. Diva did almost practically commit suicide in this episode by calling Matsumoto's bluff to save her, with the power dynamic between them kind of odd.

Also, apparently some sort of split happened after the island was shut down, like a rift between humans and AI, which is unsure what that again means.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm still giggling over the idea of a fictional character named Ophelia committing suicide... as that's the first thing I thought of when I heard that name. This show steals only from the best which in this case would be Hamlet.

I've given up trying to follow its super plot at this point as it seems like the show itself has done the same: 61 years out, 40 years left but saving one AI from committing suicide will make all the difference... now that I think about, that's the little used Third Law of Robotics

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws

Oh right, naming the robot after a character who notoriously committed suicide puts it in the realm of the Second Law, awkward...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

In the end Vivy's last trip back in time was to save everyone else at the cost of herself, the final failsafe given to her by the AI overlords destroying humanity would be an expression of her everything. With a little bit at the end that Matsumoto brought back a fresh version of her to start over in giving people happiness from singing. It was a nice ending and I will admit to getting a bit misty eyed. Seeing her eyes going empty was pretty big when a focus on her artificial but active eyes have been a recurring image.

I do find that the reveal of just the AI that they all connect to like that one from I Robot just deciding that humans should be destroyed, was kind of a boring revelation. I thought that it might be a bit more interesting like AI getting introduced to the concepts of emotions like the death Vivy expereinced and finding a beauty in it anyway. And maybe the AI without a proper context because of the limitations put on them with things like single mission stuff made them zero sum into thinking death of humans is good. Maybe there is more nuance to it, but I still think it could have been more interesting.

In that way, I might leave a comment that I think that the show had some really strong ideas, parts that could be great in isolation, but stringing them all together was a place it fell down a little. Which is a really high bar to pass. So many other things in the show were fantastic, not in the least being its art, again there are those moments that it would focus on closeups of Vivy to convey her artificial nature. Us seeing a Diva who achieved all her goals, and seemed very human, was a very nice part of the show, but a little confusing that this was her when she was only dedicated to her single mission, which almost feels like it sends mixed messages. What is the series saying on its idea of humanity in this way?

Anyway, my rating is going to be Very good (8/10), in regards to this season is was a don't miss, with a number of parts that were great to watch. I just don't think that it did everything the best at coming across as entirely cohesive, but perhaps that was an element of its large time jumps between some episodes, which made it easy at times to feel lost.
Professor Nihil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This has been one of my favorites this season.

The evolving timeline is very entertaining and I really enjoy the writing here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1