• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dr. Stone (TV + special).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
They went through all the trouble of freeze drying food, only to prepare it again. I would assume the fresh stuff is better.

I think they all just wanted to taste-test it before having to rely on it in the field. And since they're eating garbage ramen anyway, it probably doesn't taste worse. Smile

That said, I really had to suspend disbelief on this one, since I've freeze dried more than my share of stuff. For one thing, the frozen ramen isn't cold enough, since they could only freeze it at ambient temps (probably ~ -5°C? given their clothes) and it needs to be around -50 or colder, and there's just no way they could create a pump that could pull the vacuum they'd need to do this. High performance vacuum pumps were the bane of my existence for a time, and the tiniest leak in the system killed the whole undertaking. Freeze-drying is crazy simple in theory, but can be a real bear without perfect gear.

Also, I hate Gen's plan. I can't stand Lillian's song, so if they started playing that at me, I'd be ready to go to war! That aside, I have a sneaking suspicion (from the credits) that Gen's general story about other countries surviving might not be entirely fiction...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 26 (S2, Ep. 02): Hot Line

Some more modern inventions are re-introduced into the Stone World: the flare, black light, and a quasi-cell phone / communicator.

The plot is really trying to push this whole bloodless siege tactic by KoS. The more I think about it, the easier I think it'll be because science and innovation would definitely be viewed as a total godsend amongst Stone-world natives, and probably a kind of salvation for the awakened Modern-world survivors.

The one thing that might make this more interesting, though, is if they have a "nega-Senkuu." Not an opposite like what Tsukasa represents, but someone as smart as Senkuu, only with twisted logic and beliefs. I honestly don't see any kind of way Tsukasa can effectively fight Senkuu, at least from a philosophical perspective. At some point, I feel like one of the morals of this whole story will be the value and importance of logic and reasoning over brute strength and violence. And from what little I've seen of Tsukasa, I don't think he'd be shallow enough to really believe power is the be-all, end-all solution to living a meaningful existence. Senkuu is just too smart to prove otherwise.

I'm also surprised this didn't occur to me in S1, but I just noticed both sides have characters that embody each leader's ideologies: KoS peeps embrace reasoning, while TE peeps try to exude through their physicality. The Trekkie in me wants to say reasoning will eventually win out and re-vitalize civilization for the better. But the otaku in me is also thinking "this is a shounen, not seinen title, and is wacky enough as it is. Don't try to delve too deep and just take what it gives you."
----------------------------------

Episode 27 (S2, Ep. 03): Call from the Dead

A pleasantly surprising small-scale episode that continues to showcase the alluring power of science. We also get to see Taiju and Yuzuiraha for the first time in a while (a year by the show's timeline).

They manage to recruit Nikki under the guise of another important by-product of science: preservation; particularly, the preservation of Lillian Weinberg's legacy. I think the implications of preservation, legacy, history, or whatever you wanna' call it are obvious. In Nikki's case, one of Lillian's songs got her through some tough times, and the possibility of getting that back seems to be enough for her to switch sides.

I feel this further goes with my hypothesis that reasoning and logic will always have the upper hand in this fight. Ironically, as much as you would think science tries to stick to facts and take out emotion. In this case, it's helping to maintain it in a way, which actually makes me wonder, now, if it'll really be that easy for KoS to win in the long run. You have all these brutes with supposedly no ties to modernization (that we know of), but show them an invention or two, and they're not so aggressive anymore.

At that point, what will they fighting for? Do they even need to fight? Just rebuild civilization, maybe even advance it, and be happy. There's the Trekkie in me talking, again.. I'm sure something like Tsukasa's stubbornness or extreme Darwinist convictions will muck things up, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11 (finale)

A bit of a shorter season. In general, my opinion of the series has not really changed, but I was getting a bit more interested in some of the conflict this season with the two different groups, and making more interesting things.

My rating will be Decent (6/10), worth seeing. I don't really have much else to say at the moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
DP has a heart of stone! I give the season an Excellent. Much like my Excellent rating for The Promised Neverland 2, there is some grade inflation based on how much I adored the first season. I just love this world, man, and the peeps in it. Totally jazzed for the upcoming One Piece crossover season!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I think it is a largely me thing, that I find a character like Senku to be incredibly annoying and conceited. A piece of my soul catches flame every time he does his weird percent thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
You are 10 billion per cent wrong, DP! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh yep, that is the flame.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui (Special) and Season 3, Episode 1

YAY!!! It's back. As a Dr. Stone fan, I'm hugely embarrassed that I had never heard of the Ryusui 54-minute special that came out last year and which of course I watched before watching the first episode of season 3. The special introduces us to an important new character, the titular Ryusui, who will be the captain for the ship that will set out on an Age of Discovery style voyage to the other side of the world to find the origin of the petrification beam and hopefully uncover a way of reviving all the stone people.

I like Ryusui, who is the greediest man in the world, but also believes all women are beautiful and, after episode 1, it's also clear he has a benevolent side, not wanting people to starve to death any more, for example. Oh yeah, this is gonna be fun. Can't believe this show is on the same day as another sequel I'm mega-hyped for: The Ancient Magus's Bride.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the new season should come with a warning considering how crucial seeing that special is. I can only imagine how confusing it would be to start season 3 without seeing it.

The first episode of said new season is fun and makes some solid steps towards the future. All the characters are still as zany as ever and the minecraft style bits were fun to see. It also answered some questions as to why the village is the way it is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:35 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 4

Man, development is really picking up now. Mines, oil, radar, sonar, a legit distribution network of land- and water-based transportation. Oh, and bread, of course. Can't forget the bread. The rapid development of Stone World reminds me once again of how insanely fast our modern civilization drive has been. A mere 10,000 years ago we were hunter gatherers whose way of life really hadn't changed in hundreds and hundreds of thousands of years and look at us today. The earth is 4.5 billion years old, so 10,000 years is not even a blink of an eye, relatively speaking. For me, the craziest example of the speed of development is aeronautics/astronautics. The Wright brothers fly their contraption in 1904. Sixty-five years later we put a man on the moon. Wow... just wow.

From a story perspective we now have the mystery of Why-Man and the upcoming trans-oceanic voyage. Lots going on and all of it good. I like Francois. We could all use a "butler" like her.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu May 04, 2023 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It also makes sense why they have sped up the rate at which they build up and unlock new technology. As much as I love them building up, if they were to spent one episode for each new tech then it would be season 6 before they are ready to get in the boat.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 5

And so the voyage officially begins. I'm disappointed that the cute little girl with the melon helmet isn't on board, but hopefully the show will continue to check back with the "human development" team. I know they ain't pirates, but I'm treating this like it's Dr. Stone One Piece! Looking forward to the adventures that await.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:59 am Reply with quote
I also hope that we will have a regular peek at how things are going for the staying at home team. Now the journey at sea begins and that will probably have some challenges with it. Time to see how the rest of the world looks.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:42 am Reply with quote
Welp, things sure escalated in two weeks time. Not only did they find treasure island pretty fast, but now they are up against an opponent who can use a petrification weapon and most of the crew is all stoned up again. Seems like it is time to face off against the (evil?) palace.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

So we finally meet the beautiful and charming Amaryllis from the OP. I was also delighted to see that Cute Little Melon Head Girl snuck aboard ship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4