• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galaxy Express 999

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoebox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
Hi, has anyone heard of this old anime titled Galaxy Express 999?

I'm pretty sure most of you experts out there would have heard of it, or came across this classic in one way or another, but just in case, more information can be found here:
anime#1361

Anyone knows where can this TV series be purchased / downloaded / etc.? I've watched it as a child, and I would really like to re-watch it again, but try as I might, I simply can't find it available anywhere! Anime cry

Thanks in advance~
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:45 am Reply with quote
Its not domestically avaliable in America. I have seen it in China town though, but I'm sure thats a bootleg. Mods: don't send me a PM! This was a toei show, right? So maybe it has a higher chance of getting a real release now because of the Toei/Geneon deal.

I'm sure you know about the movies, 2 of which are avaiable on VHS, but you are asking about the tv series whcih I too want to see quite badly.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I have seen the movie and its sequal both are great. They really should be avalible on dvd. I have only seen them on dvd on ebay they were bootleg. and about were u can find a site to dl them at a fansub site with with Bit torrent. I think theres also a special or something that takes place between of the movies.
shoebox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
yup, there're some movies and a special or two for GE999. strangely, all of that are available via VHS or DVD, except for the TV series! i'm starting to think that there's a reason why they left out the TV.
Grico

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
yeah this is a series i really want, too. It's such a seminal series it really should have a US dvd release.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
anime#1361

113 episodes long. Yikes! That may be a good detirement from it getting licensed, unless they release in boxsets. I have no doubt its great though. Since its under Toei, it does have a chance of getting released, although I'd expect them to go for the original Captain Harlock first. Thats the number one anime I want to see released period.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
mmm... three 9. I love that series. I've only seen a few episodes from the beginning, but from what I have seen it's just great, despite being so old.
shoebox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
Just found a place which sells the DVDsfor the TV series! Original japanese dvds without any subtitles, 29 boxsets, each going for 3800 yen. Ouch~

Now I know why no fansub has subbed it yet. Probably too expensive for an American company to buy over its rights too Anime cry
Spazer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Ah it’s great to see threads about a classic like Galaxy Express 999. I love it! But then again i love everything Leiji Matsumoto has done... I think the movies are great as well.
From where i come from they’ve released the series on DVD, but only a 26 episode version though, so there are a few episodes missing to say the least. =D
I'm sure you have heard about the latest of Leiji Matsumoto’s additions to GE999 Ginga Tetsudo 999 Gaiden? (Space Symphonic Poem Maetel)
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1498,aoxcra,uchuu_koukyoush.html

J-Syxx wrote:
This was a toei show, right? So maybe it has a higher chance of getting a real release now because of the Toei/Geneon deal.

There’s a Toei/Geneon deal?
That’s good and interesting news!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Yea, Geneon is now the distributor for Toei's DVDs. Basically anything in Toei's archive could get put on US DVD. So for they relesaed Slam Dunk! and Air Master, so I think our chances are alot better than they once were.
AM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing couple dubbed episodes of the TV series back in the 80's, but I was too young to remember was it a fandub or official VHS version.
shoebox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:14 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Yea, Geneon is now the distributor for Toei's DVDs. Basically anything in Toei's archive could get put on US DVD. So for they relesaed Slam Dunk! and Air Master, so I think our chances are alot better than they once were.

yup, i think so too! maybe we should just sit around and start hoping... or should we put up a petition and e-mail them or something? Twisted Evil
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
I think theres already a Harlock petition thats been around for some years, perhaps we should tell them to e-mail it to Toei.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
It is funny that we've received practically everything Harlock related in the states EXCEPT the original Harlock and Galaxy Express series.

And it's such a shame. I adore the fact that the Matsumoto series are still about heroism and idealism in the face of cynicism. Leiji is a true virtuoso. Very Happy
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
There was a dub of Harlock. It was horriffic, but did feature some hysterical technical errors (MAYA: Maya, my little Maya HARLOCK: HARLOCK!") Malibu released 2 tapes of it

Quote:
Now I know why no fansub has subbed it yet. Probably too expensive for an American company to buy over its rights too

Viz released the movies, and at one time held an option on the TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2