• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam: UC, CE, AC, AD or Other?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mention anything from Gundam X or G Gundam either, dtm42, and I like both of those programs. I didn't mention anything from Victory Gundam, F91, 0080, or 08th MS Team (though I think I probably should have mentioned "Eien no Tobira" by Chihiro Yonekura, from Miller's Report, an excellent song). I didn't mention a single song from the original series proper, aside from my reference to the original theme song. I'm not overlooking CE's songs because I dislike the shows, I overlook them because I didn't like them as much as the songs I mentioned. Save your sensitivity for something that matters.

Fact is, SEED's music is a lot like the show itself. Generic and uninspired. Not to say that the music was awful, but it all just sort of blended together and failed to make any impression on me. You can't possibly compare any music in the CE shows to Yoko Kanno's brilliant work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You can't possibly compare any music in the CE shows to Yoko Kanno's brilliant work.

If someone did then it'd end up being a Yoko Kanno versus Yuki Kajiura debate. Laughing

However I do agree with both of you on your points for CE's music. Yes most of it does come off as bland and uninspiring but there are a few tracks that were mentioned that do get a lot of play time on my itunes. Ignited (T.M Revolution), Bokutachi No Yukue (Hitomi Takahashi), Anna No Issho Datta No Ni (See-Saw), Find the Way (Nakashima Mika), and Kimi Wa Boku Ni Niteru (See-Saw) are all good songs but CE does feature some rather bland tracks or ill-fitting. Moment (Vivian or Kazuma) the 2nd opening for SEED was rather bland and I found I Wanna Go To A Place... (Rie Fu) the 3rd ending for SEED Destiny and Wing of Words (Chemistry) the 4th opening for SEED Destiny to be out of place in the series.

There's a ton of music out there in Gundam and a lot of it is at the very least easy on the ears. One of my favourite endings was from Gundam X: Human Touch by Warren. Its not particularly the greatest of songs but since the previews for the next episodes were done during the ending theme the song provided a nice touch to the previews.

And just wondering but what do you guys think of the new opening and ending songs for Gundam 00. Personally I enjoy the new song but I think the song doesn't really pick up with the animation until around the 40 second mark much like Ash Like Snow. Still I like it... for an UVERworld song. As for Prototype which is the ending song... it hasn't really jumped out at me. Maybe it'll grow on me much like Wana by the Back Horn did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
wingzerosnuggles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I've always loved the music of Gundam. Being a Gundam Wing fangilr, I actually went to the trouble of collecting the soundtracks. Smile Here's my list:

Gundam Wing
Just Communication by TWO-MIX
Rhythm Emotion by TWO-MIX
White Reflection by TWO-MIX
Last Impression by TWO-MIX was a good song but it was a tad too long for me. Seven minutes! Anime dazed

Gundam X
Human Touch by Warren (It was fun to sing along to!)

Gundam 00
Ash like Snow by The Brilliant Green
Hakanaku Mo Towa No Kanashi by UVERworld
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the new OP and ED of Gundam 00 are pretty good, though the new OP gives the impression of "Daybreak's Bell" and the second ED seems along the lines of "Friends". The ED really doesn't seem to be particularly fitting for the ending of a Gundam progam, but somehow it seems to work out well regardless, because of the way it's transitioned into. It's almost like they took the ending song into consideration with the writing.

Weird how now they have the sort of "fake ending" to an episode, and then the real one after the credits, only to have the previews after that. If you watch via streaming Japanese television, there's actually commercials after that real ending that make you think they've forgotten about the next episode preview, but it comes eventually (after Bandai sells its wares).

I really enjoy Kenji Kawai's background tracks for 00. It's a bit subdued compared to some of his other works, but there are a few real stand-outs here and there, such as "Counterattack" and the Middle Eastern type music that are themes for Setsuna and Marina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wingzerosnuggles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The ED really doesn't seem to be particularly fitting for the ending of a Gundam progam, but somehow it seems to work out well regardless, because of the way it's transitioned into. It's almost like they took the ending song into consideration with the writing.

Chiaki Ishikawa sang the ED Prototype. She's particularly famous for singing the themes to the very tragic mecha series "Bokura no." "She did awesome work on "Uninstall," "Little Bird," and "Vermillion." The themes suited the somber series. For 00, her voice doesn't seem to work as well. I would have preferred something like what she did in "Vermillion" as an ED. Still, it's passable and, as you mentioned, it's an excellent transition from the "fake ending" to the "real ending."
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Onto music (and trying to ignore ikillchicken's preference for the soulless CE over masterpieces like the original Gundam and Zeta)

As a minor point of clarification: I didn't say that original Gundam is in itself bad in any way, just that I found it very difficult to enjoy by today's standards because of it's age.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Lets talk about animation now. Now I know its unfair to compare the more recent Gundam's animation to the original since its practically a 30 year difference but one thing I wanted to bring up is though SEED and SEED Destiny are known for their use of re-used animation another Gundam guilty of this is Wing. I've recently been re-watching merely to see if there are any redeeming points to it (and there are some) but it doesn't change the fact that it too uses a lot of re-used animation. Almost every battle is a the same with different backgrounds. However despite that the series was mildly entertaining.

Still though I'd say that Stardust Memory has the best animation. Even the simple walking movement of mobile suits is done absolutely well. Explosions are actual explosions and the battles are some of the best animated ones I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think 0083, like any other OVA, has a quality of animation that is usually better than a television series. But I think with Gundam SEED, some of the reused animation is the result of an attitude by Sunrise that, with Gundam being as popular as it is, they can skimp on the budget as long as the merchandise makes a mint, which was a gamble that paid off, considering how popular the models were for SEED and Destiny.

Strange, considering how poor the mobile suit designs were for the CE, aside from the ones they stole from UC. I liked the ships, though.

In 00's case, there are some odd instances of lack of animation entirely in the first season. Fans were quick to point these out. It seems like they've been better with this in the second season.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
In 00's case, there are some odd instances of lack of animation entirely in the first season. Fans were quick to point these out. It seems like they've been better with this in the second season.

Better, but strange instances still exist (note the faces so simple even I could have drawn them):

Sorry for the quality and size of the image, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to track down the scene on your own copy of the fansubs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say, Gundam 00 does have very agreeable animation, both for characters and (especially) backgrounds. I just wish the actual designs for the backgrounds and characters were better, and more realistic to boot.

For example, the prison in episode three was very simple and bare (internally and externally), and I'm sure they could have added more buildings, detailed landscape, decent coast, and so on. Though the quality of animation was good, it actually backfires on you if you don't include enough detail in the scenes to compensate.

As for the characters, they all look nice, and their eyes are done better than Gundam SEED for instance. Unfortunately, I find it hard to believe that a fourteen year-old would be a bridge officer on a space battleship. Even in the twenty-fourth century, I doubt they have increased intelligence so much that there is no difference in skill between someone of fourteen years and someone who is twenty-five or older. Then there is Setsuna's inclusion as a Meister.

Of course, this is not an animation complaint, and the Gundam franchise is rife with such absurdities. Victory Gundam gave us a thirteen year-old as the signature Gundam pilot, which is frankly ludicrous. But it was my hope that Gundam 00 would shun the unrealistic participation of children in war.

Note I'm not talking about the child-soldiers like Soran, just those who are barely in their teens and who manage to join a semi-professional organisation like Celestial Being, and be put in a position of high responsibility.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as my birthday has just passed and I've purchased 4 new Gundam Model Kits, I was wondering if any of you guys have purchased any in the past?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually, yes I have.

HG 1/144:

Forbidden (my favourite Cosmic Era Gundam design)
Calamity
Gaia
Abyss (V-fin was so weak it broke while under construction)

1/144:

Raider
Astray

As you can tell, I'm not a huge collector of models, preferring to spend my money on Anime rather than easily-broken miscellaneous toys. However, the druggies's Gundams were all interesting enough that I bought the models. The Astray was a Christmas present from a well-meaning but ignorant brother.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Forbidden (my favourite Cosmic Era Gundam design)

It was a cool design but... I never really understood the fact it was equipped with a Scythe.

dtm42 wrote:
Abyss (V-fin was so weak it broke while under construction)

That sucks, I've only broken one of my V-fins for my Gundams and that was for my Exia.

Here's what I got:

HG 1/144

C.E Universe

Strike Rouge w/IWSP (I just really liked the IWSP weapons package)
Strike Noir (I liked the 3 Gundams from Stargzer)
Verde Buster (Big Guns... enough said)
Buster (felt like getting its counterpart plus it was cheap)
Duel (had to get it since I had to have the Dearka/Yzak combo)

A.D Universe

Exia (its design was way different than the previous generation)
Dynames (much like the Dearka/Yzak combo I had to get the Setsuna/Lockon combo)
00 (had to get Exia's successor suit)
Cherudim (same case, had to get Dynames' successor suit)
Overflag (this was quite an interesting build, no PC parts)
Enact Custom Agrissa Type (I wanted this one, plus it was cheap =D)

MG 1/100

U.C Universe

Zeta Gundam ver 2.0 (Zeta is still one of my favourite designs of all time and I had to get it as my first MG)

That's all I have for now. I'm really just digging the Gundam 00 suits more than any others so that's why I have a bunch of them already.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
I must say, the Arios has a wicked MA design. It reminds me vaguely of a Imperial-class Star Destroyer. It's much better than the Zeta-clone form that Kyrios had (although the missile/bomb/gunner pod will be sorely missed).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Seeing as my birthday has just passed and I've purchased 4 new Gundam Model Kits, I was wondering if any of you guys have purchased any in the past?

I have a bunch of Wing models, mostly 1/100 scale, along with a 1/144 Gundam X model. All of those I actually put together, though never painted or did anything beyond snapping together and applying decals.

I also have some Destiny models but they are all just sitting in my closet. At this point, between my intense dislike for Destiny, lacking space to put them, and general loss of interest in models, they will never be put together and are probably destined for the dump.

That said, someday when I have more time, more money, and my own place (and thus, place to stick models and figures), I may start buying and putting together model kits again if I see some that catch my interest. That probably won't be anytime soon though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
I have a 1/100 Wing Zero Custom, 1/144 Deathscythe, and 1/144 Deathsycthe Hell. In addition, a 1/100 RX-78-2, the classic Gundam, and pride of my collection, and a 1/144 Gundam Exia, my most recent purchase. It's not much, considering how long I've been a Gundam fan, but I only get the MS that truly suit my fancy. I plan to purchase a Turn A, Zeta Gundam, and a 1/100 MG Qubeley. I might get a 00 Gundam, too.

I'm not particularly skilled at putting them together. I don't paint or marker, I usually leave off decals, and when I pose them, it's usually best without their weapons. In other words, it's hard to say why I bother, but they still look pretty decent displayed on a dresser by my bed. Though as old as I am, I probably shouldn't have them so prominently displayed in my room.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5